Skip to main content Skip to footer content

Unemployment Insurance


Unemployment Insurance Information

(Employees Separated from CUNY Service)

Who May File?
A person who is unemployed through no fault of their own and who is ready, willing and able to work. Anyone who believes they are entitled to collect unemployment insurance benefits has the right to file a claim, however, educational institution employees will be ruled ineligible to receive benefits between semesters provided they have a reasonable assurance for the following semester and employees of CUNY who attend any CUNY college in most cases will not be eligible for benefits. The Department of Labor will issue a determination based upon the information they receive from the claimant and The University. Employees who are between semesters and those who are CUNY students may be ineligible to collect.

How Do I Apply for Unemployment by Telephone?
Most New Yorkers may now apply for unemployment insurance benefits through the automated Tel-Claim system. Upstate and NYC residents may call the Tel-Claim Center (TCC) at 1-888-209-8124. Long Island residents should check with their nearest Division of Employment Services (DOES) office for information on filing benefits.

Where May I File in Person?
You may apply for these benefits at the New York State Unemployment Office nearest your home or work. A list of offices is located below.

What are the Business Hours?
Hours are Mon - Fri, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. Monday is the busiest day. If you file later in the week, you get credit for the week providing you work no more than three days and earn less than $405 for the week.

How Long May I Receive Benefits?
You may receive benefits for a maximum of 26 weeks after filing a claim. There is a one week waiting period in which benefits are not payable

How Much Will I Receive?
The weekly rate ranges from a minimum of $40 to a maximum of $405.

What Documents Should I Bring?
You should bring your Social Security card, second proof of identity, a recent pay stub and the name and address of all employers you worked for in the last year. Non-citizens should bring documents issued by the Immigration and Naturalization Service.

For more information contact your local New York State Department of Labor unemployment insurance claims office

For Additional Information: