Culinary Arts at Kingsborough Community College
The Culinary Arts program at Kingsborough Community College has a comprehensive training program designed for successful entry into the creative, high-paced workplaces of the food industry. Two programs to set you on your career path are offered:
- Associate of Applied Science Degree in Culinary Arts—a 60-credit, 2-year college degree.
- Certificate in Culinary Arts and Food Management—a one-year certificate designed for students who wish not to pursue a degree.
Distinctive program features include:
- A real-world internship in a professional kitchen.
- College credits transferable within and beyond CUNY.
- The opportunity for advanced standing college credits through partner high school Culinary and Hospitality programs like KBCC College Now Culinary Arts.
- Culinary Arts exhibition opportunities including the Salon of Culinary Art and Exhibition NYC.
- An on-campus learning restaurant where you learn to work in the kitchen and dining room of a fine dining restaurant in a safe, mentored environment.
- A capstone experience in culinary improvisation and creativity--learning market basket-style cooking firmly rooted in training of technique and basic skills.
- Eligibility for national, local and professional industry certifications from:
- the National Restaurant Association (ServSafe, ServSafe Alcohol, ManageFirst)
- the American Culinary Federation (Certified Culinarian)
- the New York City Department of Health (Food Handler's License)
- The benefits of being a student at a major university: libraries, clubs, performances, athletic teams, career services and student services.
Upon graduation, students enter the workplace or transfer to a baccalaureate institution.