Skip to main content Skip to footer content

International Student Affairs


F-1 Employment Options


International students are eligible for on-campus employment for a maximum of twenty hours per week* while classes are in session.   Students may work full-time during breaks and over the summer.  Before beginning on-campus employment, you must receive authorization from the ISA.  Once you are offered a position bring your offer letter to the ISA for approval.  

*If you are authorized to work on-campus and also choose to engage in Practical Training (CPT or Pre-OPT), per ICE regulations the total number of hours for the Practical training and on-campus employment can NOT exceed twenty hours while school is in session. You may work full-time during periods when school is not in session or during your annual break.

For further information regarding On-campus employment, please visit the International Student Affairs Office.


An F 1 student may be authorized by the ISA to participate in a curricular practical training program that is an integral part of an established curriculum. Curricular practical training is defined to be alternative work/study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum that is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school.

For further information regarding Curricular Practical Training, please visit the International Student Affairs Office.


An F-1 student may apply to USCIS for authorization for temporary employment for optional practical training directly related to the student's major area of study. An F-1 student may be granted authorization to engage in temporary employment off-campus on a part-time (Pre-OPT) or full-time (Post-OPT) basis, after having been in F-1 status for one full academic year provided; that the student is in good academic standing as determined by the DSO. Part-time off-campus employment is limited to no more than twenty hours a week when school is in session. A student who is granted off-campus employment authorization may work full-time during holidays or school vacation. The employment authorization is automatically terminated whenever the student fails to maintain status or transfers to another college

For further information regarding Optional Practical Training, please visit the International Student Affairs Office.