What is CUNY Start?
CUNY Start at Kingsborough Community College is a low-cost, intensive program that serves as an alternative to traditional remedial classes. CUNY Start offers rigorous, semester long academic preparation in math and reading and/or writing. In addition, students attend a weekly college-readiness seminar to help them develop their academic identity and learn about college structures and campus resources. The program costs only $75, including all books and materials, and allows students to save their financial aid for credit courses. Total savings range from $1,680 to $2,100, depending on your remedial needs.
Why Choose CUNY Start?
- Become English and Math proficient in one semester
- Only $75 so you can save financial aid for credit classes - savings range between $1,680 - $2,100 depending on your remedial needs
- Spend fewer semesters in remedial/co-requisite classes
- Two opportunities to meet proficiency in one semester
- Learn in a supportive, student-centered environment
- Work with a CUNY Start Advisor to plan your academic future
Application & Eligibility
Who Is Eligible for CUNY Start?
Students who have been accepted to Kingsborough Community College, need developmental support in both English and Math, and can demonstrate a commitment to an intensive academic schedule are recommended to apply for the program.
Our fall program will be fully online so it is strongly recommended that students have reliable Wi-fi access and a laptop/computer.
How Do I Apply?
Interested students can contact the CUNY Start/Math Start Office to find out if they are eligible for the program. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name and EMPLID. You can also visit our Virtual Front Desk on Tuesdays from 10 am – 12 pm by using this Zoom Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85947321113.
If eligible, you will need to:
STEP 1: Attend a Virtual Info/Registration Session
During the virtual session, we will explain the CUNY proficiency index and review the details of our program. In addition, we will conduct an interview to discuss your educational goals, assess your ability to commit to the intensive academic schedule, and determine if CUNY Start is the right option for you.
STEP 2: Register for the program
To finalize your registration you will need to pay the $75 program fee, sign the student agreement, and clear any registration holds.
CLASS SCHEDULE - CUNY START PROGRAM OPTION FOR Fall 2021
Online Full-Time Program: English, Math, and College Seminar
- September 17, 2021 – February 8, 2022
- Monday through Friday | 9:15 am - 3:00 pm
- Fully Online and Synchronous Classes
- Program includes weekly advisement and college success seminars
It is strongly recommended that students enrolling in our online programs have reliable Wi-Fi access and a laptop/computer.
Virtual Front Desk
Hours: Tuesdays | 10 am - 12 pm
Zoom Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85947321113
No appointment necessary. Just stop by if you have any questions!
Due to COVID-19, we will be working remotely. If we are unable to answer your call, please leave your name and contact number and we will return your call as soon as possible.
- Wenddy Zepeda, Director | email@example.com
- Sabah Aljahmee, Math Instructor
- Colin Bosio-Cady, English Instructor
- Diana Irizarry, English Instructor
- John Kearney, Math Instructor
- Vicky Musto, Math Instructor
- Kristina Pantaleo, Math Instructor