On January 17, 2002, Robert Friedman, a partner in Sage Capital Management, announced
the creation of $2,500 scholarships for College Now students bound for the City University
of New York. They will be known as the Myself Third: Spirit of New York Scholarships,
a reference to a lesson he learned in the sixth grade: to put oneself third after
responsibilities to God and to country. The scholarships, a tribute to the September
11 rescue workers, will be available to students who participate in College Now, a
CUNY program that helps prepare high school students for college. Applicants will
be required to submit an essay describing a personal experience that demonstrates
appreciation of civic responsibility. For further information, students should contact
the college advisor of their high school or the College Now office in Kingsborough
As in previous years, the competition is open to New York City public high school
seniors who have completed at least one college credit course in the College Now program.
However, in 2019, two scholarships of $5,000 will be awarded to two CUNY-bound students enrolling in either an associates or baccalaureate degree
program on a full-time basis in fall 2019.
In judging the applications, the quality of the essay, the letters of recommendations,
the service activity, extracurricular activities, and transcripts will be examined.
The timeline is as follows:
- Students must submit their applications to either their high school liaison or the
campus College Now office by March 22, 2019
- Any applications submitted to the high schools are then due to campus College Now offices by March 27, 2019
- Semifinalists' applications are due to College Now Central Office by April 10, 2019
- Finalists are selected by May 1, 2019 and the winners by mid-May
- The final ceremony will be held on June 13, 2019 at a location TBD.