PHI BETA KAPPA ASSOCIATION OF NEW YORK
The Phi Beta Kappa Association of New York is offering scholarships to students who are graduating in Spring 2020 from NYC community colleges and will be transferring to four-year colleges to continue their studies for bachelor’s degrees in the liberal arts and sciences. This year Phi Beta Kappa will be offering two scholarships, each for $2000.
Candidates must meet the following requirements:
1. Candidates must submit an official copy of their transcripts through Fall 2019/Winter 2020.
2. Along with their contact information (name, street address, email, phone number), candidates must submit a 250-500 word essay explaining their academic or professional
goals. They may want to talk about their personal and academic background and interests
and needs as these relate to those goals. As an organization focused on the liberal
arts and sciences, we exclude candidates who are enrolling in college for purely technical studies. Nonetheless, ,we have considered or given awards to candidates in engineering,
nursing, teaching and social work as well as other fields where those candidates have
demonstrated via their essays, coursework or recommendations an investment in learning,
breadth of interests, or skills consonant with our espoused values.
3. Candidates must submit two (2) letters of recommendation. At least one must be from a faculty member at the college. A second could be from someone at the college or elsewhere. We generally prefer letters from faculty but understand that this may not always be possible. Especially if the second recommendation
is from a nonacademic, it should clearly speak to the candidate’s intellectual as
well as personal abilities or qualities and how the writer came to know the candidate.
4. Candidates must submit, with the application, a letter of acceptance from a four-year college program, excluding technical or para-professional programs.
They must be graduating from a NYC community college in Spring 2020.
5. In the Fall of 2020, for those candidates selected as awardees, we will need letters from the colleges confirming that the students have actually enrolled.
It is important to note Kingsborough can only submit three (3) potential nominees. These finalists will be determined by a committee within Student Affairs. For more information about this particular scholarship opportunity, CLICK HERE.
If you are interested in applying or would like more information, please contact Dr. Brian R. Mitra, Dean of Student Affairs, at email@example.com.
Applications are due to Dean Mitra by April, 30, 2020.